Thursday, December 3, 2009

DIY 100 mm Refractor Telescope




My 4" DIY Refractor had first light last year (Nov 2008).
Rendered crisp images of moon, jupiter & saturn with little
false colour,this achromat was bought from CN classifieds.
Cradle & lens adapter was machined. Optical tube assembly
weighs 8 kg's, it's quite heavy for 4" (100mm)
refractor telescope.



Right from procuring the aluminium tube to powdercoating, i took 2 months to complete the entire project (only sat & sun),in fact it's quite fast!!!! Most of the work done by me, like cutting the tube, filing, drilling, threading & painting work (inside of the tube). Aligning the optical path was most difficult part of all, but it was bulls eye...everything was perfect like a factory fit, worked cool. Did lot of running around to get the right kind of material for the project. Scope looks professional and performs like one....image quality is extremely good!!! i am quite satisfied with this project.










Stages of development











Moon picture through my refractor

2 Comments:

Blogger cu said...

some very serious work. congratulations on a fine job. :-)

April 2, 2010 at 2:29 AM  
Blogger VU2PBT said...

Hi, I am Prabhakar from Trivandrum. Works for the Income-tax Department. I am an amateur astronomer and used to homebrew things. I am also a HAM, call sign VU2PBT The work you are doing is really remarkable. My heartiest congratulations. Please keep it up.

I would like to send you few photographs of my homebrewed reflector and also an equatorial platform.

With regards,
Prabhakara
vu2pbt@gmail.com

May 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home